Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Peppermint Meltaways

This recipe was on the cover of this December's "Simple and Delicious" magazine and I was excited to try it as soon as I saw it. I didn't follow the recipe exactly because I couldn't find peppermint extract at either of the two stores I tried, so I used mint extract since it lists peppermint oil as an ingredient. I used probably half what the recipe calls for in the cookie dough itself, then none at all in the frosting. I wasn't crazy about the mint extract taste, and think the cookies would taste better if the recipe was followed exactly. I also think you really need to like peppermint to enjoy these cookies. I'm not a huge peppermint fan, but thought the cookies were very pretty and festive looking, and I enjoyed the melt-in-your-mouth texture.

Cookie Dough:
1 c butter, softened
1/2 c confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1-1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c cornstarch

Frosting:
2 tbsp butter, softened
1-1/2 c confectioners' sugar
2 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
2 to 3 dops red food coloring, optional
1/2 c crushed peppermint candies

In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine flour and cornstarch; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Shape into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutesor until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a small mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, milk, extract, and food coloring if desired; beat until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies; sprinkle with crushed candies. Store in an airtight container. Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

1 comment:

Abby said...

For what it's worth, I liked them a lot, and so did the Husband. PW didn't get to have any. 'Cause we ate them all first.