Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blueberry Banana Smoothies


This post is to show I eat something other than dessert :) I really enjoy fruit smoothies. Grayson used to have them every day but I think he got sick of them, and now Thatcher will drink them almost every day. I vary the fruit I use--usually I would use frozen strawberries but this time we went to Sam's Club I got a bag of frozen blueberries instead so I'm using those. I have also purchased the frozen mixed fruit bags in the past, but didn't think honeydew and cantaloupe worked well in these. Peach and pineapple were yummy though.

4-6 oz orange juice (I try to squeeze fresh juice whenever possible)
1-2 bananas (depending on how thick and banana-y you like it)
1 cup frozen blueberries (use more if desired), thawed in microwave for about 45 seconds
several heaping spoonfuls of plain, whole fat yogurt (I usually use homemade)

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. This will make 1 1/2 to 2 cups of smoothie.

I didn't always add yogurt--that is a fairly recent addition. My mom has done reading about the benefits of probiotics, and the whole milk fat is good for all of us (especially my kids, who don't drink straight whole milk). My mom got us a yogurt maker and she has one as well. She uses goat's milk because it's easier to digest, but my most recent batch was cow's milk. It adds a creaminess to the smoothies that's really nice. I opt for plain because it doesn't have any added sugars. So between the fresh orange juice, all the fruit, and the healthy yogurt, we really feel good about our breakfast when we make these!

For Thatcher


For me


No comments: